Away from the hustle and bustle of big cities, Puducherry is a quiet little town on the southern coast of India. The unmistakable French connection, the tree lined boulevards, the quaint colonial heritage buildings, the spiritual sceneries, the endless stretches of unspoilt virgin beaches and backwaters and a surprising choice of restaurants serving a melange of cuisines provide a heady mix of experience that draws travellers from near and far to the city. It is the perfect place to come if you want to take the pace of life down a few notches.
Promenade Beach was once the most popular beach in Pondicherry, and a delight to both tourists and locals alike. The Promenade is on Beach Road (also known as Goubert Avenue), one of the main boulevard's of the town, and runs along the shore for 1.5 km.
A real example of community living and gradually flourishing, Auroville is conceived as a 'Universal Town'. This is a place were people with different nationalities, beliefs and culture live in harmony. This amazing city of community living was started in 1968 by the Maa, renowned disciple of Shri Aurobindo. Really a Universal town, the populations speaks different kinds of language, nearly 50 languages are spoken here.
The stylish French War Memorial, located in the renowned Goubert Avenue, is a monument for those soldiers who lost their lives in the First World War. Annual commemoration is celebrated every year on 14th July; during the period the memorial gets illuminated beautifully.
Sri Aurobindo, revolutionary, poet, philosopher and yogi was born in Calcutta in 1872.he came to Pondicherry in 1910. The mother, born in Paris in 1878, came to India in 1914 to meet Sri Aurobindo. She rejoined Sri Aurobindo in 1920 and resumed her spiritual collaboration with him for the evolution of a higher consciousness, a spiritual and supramental consciousness on earth.In the main building of the ashram ,or Rue de Marine are the marble Samadhi , where Sri Aurobindo & the Mother have been laid to rest in the houses they lived.
The Botanical Garden is located south of the New Bus Stand. The gate leading to the garden is reminiscent of French architecture and it stands out from its immediate surroundings because it is in the middle of the old Tamil town. The Botanical Gardens were laid out in 1826 in the ornate French style, with pruned trees, flower beds and gravel lined paths and fountains. The French introduced many exotic plants from all over the world. The gardens also have a musical fountain which is active over the weekends, with two shows in the evening.
Facilities for boating are available at the Boat House on the River Chunnambar,8kms from Pondicherry. The backwater and the lush greenery on both sides of chunnambar provide an ideal setting for boating.